The recent outbreak of Covid-19 has shut down millions of jobs across the planet, and Canada has not been an exception to the internationally rising unemployment rates either. However, professionals in IT with a firm grasp over the core coding languages have been among the safest professionals even amidst all this.
The truth is, as long as modern civilization survives, the demand for computer science graduates, software programmers, and even diploma coders will only increase with each passing year.
Why is a Career in Computer Science Future Proof?
A career in computer science is critical to not just maintaining the modern human society as we know it today, it’s also crucial to helping humanity reach the next stage of technological evolution.
In other words, computer science is a field that will be instrumental in building a future for mankind and, therefore, the various roles held by computer scientists can only become more and more essential down the line. To understand the significance that the career holds even today, consider the following two examples.
- Relative Sustainability of the Ongoing Lockdowns Stand as Proof – The ongoing lockdowns are only sustainable because we have access to fast internet connections, powerful hardware, and intelligent software; each of which is a gift from computer science. If there were no experts around to maintain, repair, and update it, the technology would fall apart in a matter of weeks.
- Nearly Everything We Do Now is Somehow Connected to Computers – The manufacturers have different names for them, but smartphones, smartwatches, tablets, etc. are all essentially computers. Even more importantly, be it the apps we use to book a cab or the banking services that allow your salary to show up in your bank account – it’s all related to advances made across the numerous branches of computer science.
Opportunities to Enter the Field of Computer Science is Bright Right Now
Wilfrid Laurier University has an ongoing innovative computer science program for student developers, which allows young, talented coders to enter the prospective software development stream in an organized manner. On the other hand, multiple universities from various sections of the globe are also running their own talent hunts by providing opportunities to the potential talent of the future. As to why such programs are so relevant to young students of CS, the following should be able to shed some light on that.
- It is possible but ill-advised to start one’s technological career in a haphazard fashion
- It is instead a significantly better path to pursue if they complete their education
- The education and training will further sharpen and expand their knowledge to the point of precision
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Programming is always going to look better on a resume
- A structured path of professional education usually helps young minds to realize where their talents and interests are best applicable
- The arming potential increases significantly when you have a college degree to support your experience
Cybercrime is On the Rise
The rise of cybercrime is as much an inevitability, as is the rise in need for computer science professionals in this highly technological world that we all live in. There will always be hackers looking to exploit, steal, cheat people and companies alike on the internet, and that in turn has created further opportunities for professionals that can counter those cyber attacks effectively. From individuals and SMEs to large enterprises, no one is safe online today, unless they take the necessary protective measures, as well as implementing failsafe protocols. If a career in cybersecurity appeals to you, consider the following job roles, as they are high paying roles in Canada and the international job market.
- Incident assessment and vulnerability assessment professional
- Security protocol developer/cybersecurity architect
- Instant responder to ongoing cyber threats
- Cybersecurity manager and admin
- Security analyst
- Cyber forensic expert
- Cybersecurity specialist, engineer, and consultant
- Source code auditor
Even if we were to take a more temporal outlook, the job is one that doesn’t necessarily endanger the life of the professional, but it can at the same time save many lives from the current pandemic. Software engineers with experience in AI design are working closely with doctors and bio researchers for identifying antibodies that can fight the novel coronavirus. Without the aid of intelligent software development, finding a vaccine would have taken years, but thanks to computer science, vaccines are already being tested with high success rates.